Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Dreams

I had a very bad fever dream last night. Our safehouse was being invaded. When I awakened this morning in a sweat, to my surprise, my fever and the last of my injuries were being tended to by a kind and knowledgeable stranger, with a name I didn't catch (it sounded foreign to my ears). I learned that the pounding I heard in my nightmare was not the destruction of our defenses, but rather the sound of my comrade survivors hammering together more boards and barricades.

Later this afternoon, the stranger accompanied me in a fruitless search of the offices for supplies. We found some working scientific equipment, but only more of what we already had in surplus - DNA extractors and GPS units. Explanation for the uninitiated: The former are useful for cataloguing tissue samples; not much use to the average citizen, but very handy for those of us in the scientific community. The latter, of course, will report the handler's coordinates within the city.

The stars are out tonight, and the city is not quiet.

No comments: